What is a Monster?
A Monster can be a myriad of things according to the dictionary, here is the list:
- terrifying and dangerous, wild or fictional creature.
- A bizarre or whimsical creature.
- An extremely cruel or antisocial person, especially a criminal.
- A horribly deformed person.
- (figuratively) A badly behaved child, a brat.
- (informal) Something unusually large.
- (informal) A prodigy; someone very talented in a specific domain.
© Your Dictionary, LoveToKnow, Corp, 1996-2018 retrieved 29/3/18 from http://www.yourdictionary.com/monster
Just by definition Monsters do exist, in all kinds of forms, so why do we tell our children they don’t exist?
We watch them on TV & in Movies, we read about them in books & Monsters are usually used as a tool to frighten people into NOT doing something, especially when we are children.
I remember my parents using Monsters, as a fear tool “don’t go down there, there’s a monster down there”, do you remember your parents using this phrase or something similar? Just because that old chestnut worked on us, doesn’t mean it works for this generation & who’s to say it was the right thing to do anyway? Doing things our parents did to us is not always in our children’s best interest, as we all know.